Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years Resolutions and Blue garlic?!?!


So normally on a Sunday (today being my Sunday) I try and do some cooking for the week; packing your lunch in NYC can save you about $65 a week.
Today, I cut up some garlic and onion to start on my fresh homemade tomato sauce. I decided to cut open a lime and put some fresh lime juice in while that was simmering, came back 2 mins later, garlic is BLUE! Turns out, after a little googling, this is a chemical reaction which scared me into thinking my garlic starter had gone bad. Here was the blue garlic answer. Turns out it is perfectly ok!

My homemade tomato sauce, 10 mins prep 20 min cook time, extra can be frozen!

Heat pan on low-med heat with 1 teaspoon olive oil,
add 3 cloves of minced garlic,
add chopped onion,
fresh lime juice (watch for the blue reaction), isn't a necessary component,
add sliced grape tomatoes (1 pint container)
add 1 sliced vine ripe tomato
add 1 can of tomato paste
add sea salt, to extract the tomatoes natural flavors and liquids.

Let that simmer for about 15-20 minutes, let cool for 30 mins, pour in blender and blend on sauce setting, pour into glass storage (I use the Pyrex containers).

Freeze half, and keep the rest in the fridge for an easy delicious base to your dishes throughout the week. (The sauce just gets better as it gets happy in the fridge)

No comments:

Post a Comment